This puff pastry pizza with balsamic mushrooms is a cinch to make. Sauté shallots and mushrooms, spread tomato pesto on puff pastry, add some Brie cheese and bake. Baddabing baddaboom.
When it comes to impromptu entertaining, sure, you could grab few bags of chips from the store. But imagine how much more impressed your friends will be when you set out squares of this Brie-gilded puff pastry pizza and casually mention how you just sorta tossed it together. Which is exactly why we always keep balsamic vinegar in the pantry, puff pastry in the freezer, and a wedge of Brie in the fridge. Originally published May 16, 2007.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Puff Pastry Pizza with Balsamic Mushrooms
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H
- Serves 3
IngredientsEmail Grocery List
- For the balsamic mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter (1 oz)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot or onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 6 ounces finely chopped portobello mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- For the puff pastry pizza
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 tablespoons prepared sun-dried tomato pesto
- 3 to 4 ounces Brie, rind removed
- 1 scallion, chopped (both green and white parts)
- Prep the oven
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Make the balsamic mushrooms
- 2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release their juices and most of the liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and vinegar and continue cooking until the liquid is absorbed, another 2 minutes or so. Add salt to taste. (The duxelles may be refrigerated up to 1 week or frozen up to 2 months; bring to room temperature before using.)
- Make and bake the puff pastry pizza
- 3. Unfold the pastry sheet. Cut the pastry into 9 squares. Arrange the pastry pieces on an unbuttered baking sheet. On each piece, smear some tomato pesto, then top with duxelles, followed by a lump of Brie, and then sprinkle with scallions.
- 4. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until the pastry puffs and browns and the cheese melts. Let the pastries rest for a few minutes and then serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe Testers Reviews
This puff pastry pizza is an easy appetizer to prepare for guests! Since the balsamic mushroon duxelles can be prepared ahead of time, all that’s left to do is just to assemble the ingredients and pop the whole thing in the oven. My guests loved the flaky, light crust and the deep flavors of the mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes.
Next time, I will add a generous amount of brie. The small blobs I portioned out weren’t enough to stand up to the salty tang of everything else.
Great for last-minute entertaining.