This grilled chicken is being lauded as “wonderful” and “amazingly tender” and “perfectly balanced” and “simple enough for a weeknight and elegant enough to serve to our guests” by those who’ve made it. Sorta makes you want to try it, yes?
There’s a lot to love about this grilled chicken with arugula and balsamic vinegar. It’s quick, easy, entertaining-worthy, and memorable in the best possible way. Even better, it leaves very few dishes to do after dinner. If you’re uncorking a bottle of wine to go with this, opt for pinot noir or Chianti. Originally published June 10, 2016.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Grilled Chicken Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H, 30 M
- Serves 4 to 8
- 1 lemon, 1/2 juiced and 1/2 sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Dijon mustard
- 3 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed from 2 sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) plus 4 tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Fine sea salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups arugula, stemmed
- 1. Cut the lemon in half. Juice half the lemon and cut the remaining half into wedges. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, the leaves from the 2 rosemary sprigs, garlic, and 4 tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil. Seal the bag and firmly mix with your hands. Add the chicken, reseal, and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 2. Heat your gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat and let it get nice and hot to the tune of 400°F (204°C). (If using charcoal, the coals should be lightly covered with ash.)
- 3. Add the sprig of rosemary and the remaining 1/2 cup (118 ml) olive oil to a small saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and then immediately remove from heat. Discard the sprig of rosemary and pour the oil into a small bowl.
- 4. When the grill is ready, remove the chicken from the bag and discard the marinade. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Place the chicken thighs on the grill, skin side down, and cook for about 9 minutes. Flip and cook until the chicken thighs are cooked through and register 165°F (74°C), 4 to 5 more minutes.
- 5. Remove the chicken thighs from the grill and place them on a large cutting board. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 6. While the chicken rests, mix the balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes into the rosemary oil. Season with pepper and salt. Drizzle over the arugula and gently toss. Divvy the arugula among plates and arrange 2 chicken thighs on each arugula salad and garnish with lemon wedges.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!