Slow cooker posole is an easy version of authentic Mexican posole--or stew--with pork, hominy, onions, garlic, plus all the toppings. The only thing missing is the tending and stirring on the stovetop.
This slow cooker posole is an easy yet authentic Mexican expression of comfort food. The robust stew includes meltingly tender shredded pork along with hominy and onions that are gently coaxed to sweetness. If you’re lucky enough to have some leftover posole, goodness gracious, the options are endless. Harness it as a burrito or taco filling, plop it atop some rice, or simply slap a fried egg on top and consider it breakfast.–Angie Zoobkoff
Special Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Slow Cooker Posole Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 4 H, 40 M
- Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (30 ml)
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (567 g), trimmed and cut into 4-inch (10-cm) pieces
- Coarse salt
- 1 white onion (about 1 cup or 150 g), chopped, plus more for serving
- 4 garlic cloves (about 20 g), minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (16 g)
- 4 cups canned chicken broth or homemade low-sodium chicken stock (946 ml)
- Two 15-ounce (425 g) cans hominy, drained and rinsed
- For serving
- Chopped avocado
- Sliced radishes
- Fried corn tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
- 1. Preheat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker on high until warm, about 20 minutes. Season pork with salt.
- 2. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Add the pork to the skillet and cook until the pieces are browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- 3. In the same skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low and heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the onion, garlic, and chili powder and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Add 2 cups broth and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Transfer everything in the skillet to the slow cooker along with 2 cups broth. Cover and cook until the meat is very tender, 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- 4. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a large bowl and, using 2 forks, shred the pork. Return the pork to the slow cooker and stir in the hominy. Stir to combine and to warm the pork. Season with salt to taste.
- 5. Serve the posole with avocado, radishes, tortilla strips, and lime on the side for each person to add as desired.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!