These tartlets are a summer hit, especially on the Fourth of July. Here, we used both conventional sliced strawberries and whole fraises des bois, tiny fragrant strawberries that can be grown in pots or in the garden. Their stems, leaves, and flowers make a nice garnish.–Pamela Sheldon Johns and Jennifer Barry
Red, White, and Blue Tarts Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 40 M
- Makes 6 tartlets
- For the tarts
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- For the filling
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced, or hulled and left whole
- 1/2 cup shredded dried coconut
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Make the tarts
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Stir in the melted butter. Press the mixture into six 4-inch round individual tartlet pans, dividing equally.
- 3. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until firm and lightly colored. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the filling
- 4. In a deep bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks and set aside.
- 5. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar together. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and spread in the bottom of the tart shells.
- 6. Arrange the strawberries, coconut, and blueberries in 3 stripes on top of each tartlet.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Red, White, and Blue Tarts Recipe © 2004 Jennifer Barry Designs. Photo © 2004 Joyce Oudkerk Pool. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!