So, what the heck is cheese-crusted grilled cheese? Simple. It’s a grilled cheese sandwich whose insides are oozing with your favorite cheese while the outside is coated with a crisp, crunchy Parmesan crust. Sigh.
Know when you’re making something and some cheese oozes out of whatever you’re cooking and drips onto the hot pan creating a small puddle of sizzling goodness? You know what I’m talking about—that crusty, ever so slightly chewy, crisp cheesiness that is its own unique realm of deliciousness. We captured this indulgent awesomeness in this cheese-crusted grilled cheese sandwich that boasts ooey gooey cheese inside AND shatteringly crisp cheese outside. It may just ruin the classic grilled cheese for you forever—in the best possible way.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Cheese-Crusted Grilled Cheese
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 15 M
- Makes 2 sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (1/2 oz)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 cup of your favorite shredded melting cheese
- 1. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, lightly beat the egg in a small bowl. Scatter the Parmesan on a plate.
- 3. Place all 4 slices bread on your work surface. Lightly brush the top of each slice with the egg and then press each eggy side of the bread into the Parmesan. Place 2 slices of bread in the skillet, eggy cheesy side down. Cook until the cheese begins to brown. Then sprinkle the melting cheese on the bread slices in the skillet, divvying the cheese up evenly among the bread. Top with the remaining bread, eggy-cheese side up.
- 4. Continue to cook, flipping each sandwich as necessary to keep it from overbrowning, until the cheese on the outside is crisp and melted and the cheese on the inside is gooey and melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Devour immediately.