This easy tomato soup from Ina Garten (aka Barefoot Contessa), made with canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, stock, orzo, cream, and topped with grilled cheese croutons, is as simple and comforting as soup gets.
Ina Garten (perhaps better known as The Barefoot Contessa) dubs this recipe “Easy Tomato Soup” and it’s no lie. It comes together from scratch with barely more effort than heating up some Campbell’s—and we don’t think we explain how what results is way worth that teensy added investment. She serves it with the ingenious embellishment of grilled cheese croutons, which is essentially tending to your inner 7 year old in the most satisfying way we know how. Originally published January 2, 2011.–Ina Garten
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 45 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups (2 onions) chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon (3 cloves) minced garlic
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- One (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- Large pinch saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo, uncooked (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes and their juices, saffron, 1 tablespoon salt (or, if you prefer, start with 2 teaspoons), and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil and then lower the heat and gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. If using the orzo, fill a medium pot with water, add 2 teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil. Add the orzo and cook for 7 minutes, until almost but not quite completely al dente. Drain the orzo and add it to the soup.
- 3. Stir the cream into the soup, return it to a gentle simmer, and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently. (You can refrigerate the soup and gently reheat it before serving.)
- 4. Serve the soup hot with the grilled cheese croutons scattered on top.