This easy tomato soup, made with crushed tomatoes, onion, garlic, stock, orzo, cream, and saffron, and topped with grilled cheese croutons is as simple and comforting as it gets, folks.
My friend Frank Newbold told me he’d been served tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons on top and I thought, “OMG what a great idea!” This tomato soup is spiced with saffron, which has enough flavor to stand up to the Gruyère in the croutons. Nursery food updated—how bad could that be?–Ina Garten
LC Easy Peasy Soup Note
Ina Garten dubs this recipe “Easy Tomato Soup” and it’s no lie. It comes together from scratch with barely more effort than heating up some Campbell’s—and we don’t think we need to tell you it’s worth that teensy extra investment of work.
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 45 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups (2 onions) chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon (3 cloves) minced garlic
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- One (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- Large pinch saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo, uncooked (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes and their juices, saffron, 1 tablespoon salt, and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. If using the orzo, fill a medium pot with water, add 2 teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil. Add the orzo and cook for 7 minutes, until almost but not quite completely al dente. Drain the orzo and add it to the soup.
- 3. Stir the cream into the soup, return it to a gentle simmer, and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently. (You can refrigerate the soup and gently reheat it before serving.)
- 4. Serve the soup hot with the grilled cheese croutons scattered on top.