Mac and cheese pizza. Yep. As in macaroni and cheese heaped atop pizza dough. And it’s incredibly easy to create a homemade version of it. Here’s how to make it.
Mac and cheese pizza? Yes, it’s a thing. God help us all.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Mac and Cheese Pizza
- Quick Glance
- 1 H
- 2 H, 30 M
- Makes 1 pizza
- For the pizza dough
- 1 recipe whole wheat or white pizza dough
- For the mac and cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) salt
- 8 ounces (227 grams) small elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce or 28 grams) butter
- 1/2 cup (71 grams) minced onion
- 2 tablespoons (15 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (473 milliliters) milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces or 452 grams) shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 cup (113 grams) shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup (113 grams) shredded Cheddar
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) grated pecorino Romano
- 12 Ritz crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons (5 grams) chopped chives
- Make the pizza dough
- 1. Place the pizza dough on the counter until it comes to cool room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Make the mac and cheese
- 2. Spray a 10-inch (25-centimeter) round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3. Boil 4 quarts (4 1/2 liters) water with 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the macaroni and then dump it in a large bowl.
- 4. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the flour, remaining 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt, the dry mustard, paprika, and pepper and stir continuously until a paste forms. Add the milk and stir continuously until smooth. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until thickened. Stir 2 cups (227 grams) of the sharp Cheddar into the thickened sauce and keep stirring until it is smooth and melted.
- 5. Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and stir until it is all well combined. Scrape half the mac and cheese into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups (227 grams) sharp Cheddar. Pour the rest of the mac and cheese on top and pat it down to form a cake. Chill for 1 hour.
- 6. Move an oven rack to the lowest position. Preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C) for 30 minutes.
- 7. Shape the dough into a round just slightly larger than your cake pan. Sprinkle with the mozzarella, 1 cup Cheddar, and Romano. Use a metal spatula to loosen the mac and cheese cake from the pan. Turn the pan over and carefully transfer the mac and cheese cake to a plate. Slide the mac and cheese onto the middle of the pizza, and top with the crushed crackers.
- 8. Bake the pizza for 13 to 15 minutes, until the crust is deep brown and the mac and cheese is bubbling. Check underneath with a metal spatula to ensure the bottom crust is deep brown too. Let the pizza rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the chives, then cut the pizza into 8 wedges and serve.