These roasted carrots take their sweet heat from honey and cayenne. Simple to make and perfectly lovely alongside just about anything.
These roasted carrots take their weeknight ease from a short spell in the oven and their sweet heat from honey and cayenne. If you want a slightly citrusy tang, add a splash of lime for an unexpected zing. Or if that’s not your thing, just think of all the other ways in which you can gussy these up, depending on what does trip your fancy. A squeeze of lemon in place of lime. A sprinkle of herbs or paprika in lieu of cayenne. Or whatever you want. And then let us know how it goes in a comment below.–Renee Schettler Rossi
How To Roast Whole Carrots
The recipe below cuts the carrots into lengths of specific size so that the carrots cook evenly and in a short enough time so that the carrots become tender before the honey scorches. If you care for a more elegant appearance, as with the beauties you see in the photo, opt for slender, young carrots and leave them whole. Or, if all you have available to you are thicker carrots, slice them in half lengthwise and keep a careful eye on them in the oven.
Roasted Carrots Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 50 M
- Serves 6
- 2 1/2 pounds (1 1/4 kg) carrots, peeled and cut into sticks 3 inches (7 1/2 cm) long and 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 limes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Position 2 oven racks in the centermost positions. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. In a large bowl or on a baking sheet, combine the carrots, oil, and salt and toss to coat evenly. Divvy the carrots up between the baking sheets and spread them in a single layer. Roast the carrots, turning them once, until tender and lightly caramelized in spots, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, if using the lime, finely grate the zest from a single lime and set it aside. Halve the lime and squeeze enough juice to measure 1 1/2 tablespoons, using a second lime if necessary.
- 4. About 5 minutes before the carrots are done, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the honey, cayenne pepper, and lime zest and juice, if using, and stir just until hot and bubbly. Remove the pan from the oven, pour the honey mixture over the carrots, and turn them to coat well. Taste a carrot and, if needed, add more cayenne, salt, and/or lime juice as desired. Transfer the carrots to a warmed serving dish and serve right away.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Roasted Carrots Recipe © 2015 Tori Ritchie. Photo © 2015 Katie Newburn. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!