This is terrific on fried chicken and even better on mashed potatoes.–Bruce and Eric Bromberg
Chicken Gravy Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H, 50 M
- Makes 4 cups
- 4 cups chicken bones and wings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF (204ºC).
- 2. Spread the chicken bones and wings on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Roast until well browned, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the butter with the flour to make a paste.
- 4. Transfer the chicken bones and wings, along with any browned bits from the baking sheet, to a large skillet. Pour in the stock and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5. Strain the mixture, discarding the bones and wings. Return the liquid to the skillet over medium-high heat and add the thyme. Slowly whisk in the butter paste, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the sauce is thick and gravy-like. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm until needed.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Herb Gravy from Elana's Pantry
- Biscuits and Sausage Gravy from Taste and Tell
- Basic Pan Gravy from Leite's Culinaria
- How to Make Thanksgiving Turkey Gravy from Pan Drippings from Leite's Culinaria
Chicken Gravy Recipe © 2010 Bruce and Eric Bromberg, Melissa Clark. All rights reserved.