The secret to the intense mushroom flavor in this recipe is that not only are mushrooms themselves part of the mix, but the risotto is cooked with mushroom-flavored broth. In order to use dried porcini mushrooms—or any dried mushrooms for that matter—you have to reconstitute them by allowing them to sit in hot water for a few minutes, absorbing that water and plumping up. Then the mushrooms are ready to cook with, and you have all this flavorful liquid as a by-product. By all means, take advantage of it. Here, it works as a flavor booster to the chicken stock, but you can also use it as the base of a wonderful soup or sauce.–Giada De Laurentiis
Wild Mushroom Risotto with Peas Recipe
Hands-On Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes | Makes 6 side-dish servings
- 5 3/4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Bring the broth to a simmer in a heavy, medium-size saucepan. Add the porcini mushrooms. Cover and set aside until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms and finely chop. Cover the broth and keep warm over very low heat.
- 2. Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the white mushrooms, porcini mushrooms, and garlic; saute until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the rice. Add the wine; cook, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of hot broth; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, adding more broth by cupfuls and stirring often, about 28 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the peas. Mix in the Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Wild Mushroom Risotto with Peas Recipe © 2005 Giada De Laurentiis. Photo © 2005 Victoria Pearson. All rights reserved.