A visit to a popular grilled cheese sandwich truck in southern California and a little market research convinced Brian Aflague that his love for the grilled cheese sandwich was a universal love. “It’s such an easy concept: bread, butter, and cheese,” Brian explains. “But what’s great about it is it has so much stretch, so much range and versatility. There’s so much you can do with the recipe.” Witness this veggie grilled cheese sandwich recipe. Brian displays this versatility at his Melts My Heart food truck with the Be Lovin’ Veggies, a gorgeous blend of veggies and cheese kicked up with Sriracha.–Kim Pham and Philip Shen
LC Be Lovin' Veggies Sandwich Note
Say hello to a veggie grilled cheese sandwich recipe that calls for a splash of Sriracha and about half your daily requirement of good-for-you veggies. Who loves you?!
Veggie Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 15 M
- Makes 1 sandwich
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 yellow or red onion, chopped (about 70 grams or 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 scallion (white and green parts), chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Unsalted butter, for the bread, at room temperature
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 1/2 slices mild Cheddar cheese (about 70 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons store-bought or homemade Sriracha sauce
- 2 slices tomato (optional)
- 3 small basil leaves (optional)
- 1/2 small avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion. Sauté for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2. Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic, and sauté, stirring continuously, for about 2 minutes.
- 3. Add the scallion and a pinch each salt and pepper and stir for 1 minute. The sautéed ingredients should be tender but a little crunchy with a tinge of a light brown color. Transfer to a bowl.
- 4. Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Butter 1 side of each slice sourdough bread and place the bread in the skillet, buttered side down. Divvy the cheese between both slices bread. Working in a zigzag motion, squeeze the Sriracha sauce over the cheese.
- 5. Add the sautéed vegetables, tomato and fresh basil, if using, and avocado to 1 slice cheese-topped bread. Top with the other slice bread, buttered side up. Cook, flipping once, until crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side, during which time you may want to reduce the heat to medium so the cheese melts before the bread browns too much. Serve the veggie grilled cheese sandwich immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Veggie Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe © 2014 Kim Pham and Philip Shen. Photo © 2014 KIM+PHIL Photography. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!