This arugula salad with pear and blue cheese is quick, easy, and healthy. Not only that, it tastes spectacular thanks to a subtly sweet honey vinaigrette with walnuts. Tasting is understanding.
This arugula salad recipe with pear and blue cheese sets itself apart from similar salads thanks to its honey walnut vinaigrette, which cloaks peppery greens, creamy blue cheese, and crisp pear in a subtly sweet, nutty dressing. Everything jumbled together is so spectacular you may just catch folks licking the plate. Which is just dandy considering all its healthful ingredients. –Angie Zoobkoff
Arugula, Pear, and Blue Cheese Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 15 M
- Serves 2 to 4
- For the vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup (33 grams) walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) red wine vinegar or Champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (10 grams) honey
- 1 teaspoon thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cold water
- Sea salt to taste
- For the salad
- 2 cups (40 grams) baby arugula (or watercress or spinach)
- 1/2 cup (57 grams) blue cheese (any variety), crumbled or thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (122 grams) pears, any variety (1 to 2 pears), unpeeled, and thinly sliced or cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup (37 grams) chopped dates (optional)
- Handful walnut halves or pieces (optional)
- Make the vinaigrette
- 1. Toss the walnuts, shallots, vinegar, honey, and thyme, if using, in a blender and process until thoroughly combined. While the blender is still running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream. When the oil has been incorporated, slowly add enough water to achieve the desired consistency. (You may not need to add all the water.) Taste and season with salt to taste.
- Assemble the salad
- 2. In a large bowl, toss the arugula, blue cheese (if using crumbles), pear, dates, and walnuts, if using, with 1/4 cup vinaigrette. Toss to coat and, if needed, add more vinaigrette until the salad is adequately dressed. Top with the blue cheese (if using slices). Serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!