These impressive little nibbles are a snap (no pun intended) once you learn the trick to really thin crackers: passing the dough through a pasta machine.
Humidity wreaks havoc on any homemade cracker, and these are no exception. So keep these tightly stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week. If it’s particularly damp, I wouldn’t go more than a few days without re-crisping in a warm oven.–David Leite
Crispy Sesame Crackers
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 2 H, 15 M
- Serves 6
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon cold water
- 2 cups flour, or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut up
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, preferably a mix of black and white
- 1. Combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Let rest for 8 to 10 minutes, until foamy. Add the 1/3 cup cold water, then add the flour, butter, and salt. Mix to combine on medium speed until smooth and elastic, pulling the dough down off the hook if necessary. If the dough is sticky, add a little more flour.
- 2. Gather into a ball, place the dough in an oiled bowl, turn to coat lightly, cover, and set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 4. The easiest way to make very thin crackers is to pass the dough through a pasta machine. Roll them out as thinly as possible into 6-inch-wide, 3- or 4-inch-long strips. The goal is for the crackers to be almost paper-thin. I have found that it helps to roll out strips of dough, let them rest for 5 or 6 minutes, and then roll them out again. I repeat again if necessary.
- 5. Lay the strips of dough on a nonstick baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Beat the egg and the 1 teaspoon cold water, and brush the crackers with the egg wash. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, then score the strips of dough to make triangular shapes (they’ll break apart into individual crackers when they bake).
- 6. Turning the crackers as necessary, bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until they are a deep gold. Transfer to a rack to cool.