This slow cooker beef and black bean chili is likely the easiest chili you’ll ever make. Just toss beef chuck, black beans, tomato puree, onion, garlic, and chili powder into your slow cooker and walk away. Perfect for Super bowl or simply stashing in the freezer.
This easy and stick-to-your ribs slow cooker chili with beef and black beans is tremendous in terms of flavor but requires virtually no effort. Simply toss everything into the slow cooker and walk away. (We told you it was easy.) Whether you’re hosting Super bowl Sunday and want to actually watch the game instead of slaving in the kitchen or you need to a family-friendly meal for crazy weeknighs, you’re going to want to keep this recipe in your back pocket . Or maybe taped to your fridge.–Angie Zoobkoff
Slow Cooker Beef and Black Bean Chili
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 7 H, 15 M
- Serves 4
Special Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- 1 cup dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 pound beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) chunks
- One (15-ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 red onion (about 5 1/2 oz), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups hot water
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To serve
- Sour cream
- Diced jalapeño
- Chopped avocado
- Grated Cheddar cheese or crumbled queso fresco
- 1. Place the beans in a large bowl or pot, add enough water to cover with several inches of water, and refrigerate, covered, overnight. (Alternatively, to quick soak the beans, place them in a large saucepan and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 1 hour.) Drain the beans.
- 2. Preheat a 5-to 6-quart slow cooker on low until warm.
- 3. To the slow cooker, add the drained beans, beef, tomato puree, onion (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish), garlic, chili powder, the hot water, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the chili has thickened and the beans are tender, about 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- 4. Serve topped with sour cream, reserved onion, jalapeño, avocado, and cheese.