Sweet and spicy roasted nuts. The same says it all. Mixed nuts are tossed with sugar, salt, cumin, red pepper flake and roasted to perfection. How do you say, "Happy holiday?"
These sweet and spicy nuts are addictive little snacks, so spread them around with care. The sugar and red-pepper flakes hit just the right balance of sugar and heat, making them a great accompaniment to drinks, especially Champagne. Originally published August 14, 2009.–David Leite
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Nuts Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 35 M
- Makes 2 cups
- Cooking spray
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- 2 cups mixed raw nuts of your choice
- 1. Crank the oven to 300° (150°C). Line a lipped baking sheet with foil and coat the foil lightly with cooking spray.
- 2. Whisk the egg white until very foamy. Add the sugar, salt, cumin, and red-pepper flakes and whisk well. Stir in the nuts and coat completely.
- 3. Spread the nuts in single layer on the baking sheet. Bake until they’re a deep golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring often.
- 4. Remove the sheet from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool. Break up any nutty clumps. The nuts be made a week in advance. (Ha! Like they’ll ever last that long.) Store in an airtight container.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!