If the Thanksgiving weather forecast is cold and gray, then you might want to consider this brightly colored stuffing, which is packed with sunny Mediterranean flavors and goes well with a variety of foods: turkey, chicken, pork, bell peppers and zucchini. Don’t cut the crust off the bread; it adds texture.–Rick Rodgers
Sourdough Stuffing with Artichokes, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Basil Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Makes about 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1 pound crusty sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and dried overnight, or in oven (about 10 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup turkey broth, homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth, as needed
- 1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the red onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Into a large bowl, scrape the vegetables. Add the bread cubes, basil, Parmesan cheese, salt and crushed red pepper. Gradually stir in the vermouth, eggs and about 1/2 cup of the broth, until stuffing is evenly moistened but not soggy.
- 3. Use as a turkey stuffing. Or place in a lightly buttered casserole, drizzle with 1/2 cup broth, cover and bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven as a side dish.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Summertime Frittata Recipe with Artichoke, Tomato & Basil from Cookin' Canuck
- Fresh Tomato & Basil Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread from Farmgirl Fare
- Warm Sourdough Bread Salad with Chicken from Leite's Culinaria
- Bread Stuffing with Bacon, Apples, Sage, and Caramelized Onions from Leite's Culinaria
Sourdough Stuffing with Artichokes, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Basil Recipe © 1997 Rick Rodgers. All rights reserved.