If the Thanksgiving weather forecast is cold and gray, then you might want to consider this brightly colored stuffing, which is packed with sunny Mediterranean flavors and goes well with a variety of foods: turkey, chicken, pork, bell peppers and zucchini. Don’t cut the crust off the bread; it adds texture.–Rick Rodgers
Sourdough Stuffing with Artichokes, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Basil Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Makes about 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1 pound crusty sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and dried overnight, or in oven (about 10 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup turkey broth, homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth, as needed
- 1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the red onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Into a large bowl, scrape the vegetables. Add the bread cubes, basil, Parmesan cheese, salt and crushed red pepper. Gradually stir in the vermouth, eggs and about 1/2 cup of the broth, until stuffing is evenly moistened but not soggy.
- 3. Use as a turkey stuffing. Or place in a lightly buttered casserole, drizzle with 1/2 cup broth, cover and bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven as a side dish.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Summertime Frittata Recipe with Artichoke, Tomato & Basil from Cookin' Canuck
- Fresh Tomato & Basil Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread from Farmgirl Fare
- Warm Sourdough Bread Salad with Chicken from Leite's Culinaria
- Bread Stuffing with Bacon, Apples, Sage, and Caramelized Onions from Leite's Culinaria
Sourdough Stuffing with Artichokes, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Basil Recipe © 1997 Rick Rodgers. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!