Can you roast a whole chicken in an Instant Pot? Well, yes. Kinda of. This recipe calls for searing a whole chicken in a skillet then rubbing it with paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and brown sugar. Is it “technically” roasted? No. Does it have a deliciously rotisserie-like flavor? You betcha.
Juiciest chicken ever. That’s the consensus of everyone who’s partaken of this “roast” chicken that affords you all the tender, juicy goodness of a roast chicken from the convenience of your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. (Yes, yes, we know. You can’t actually roast a chicken in an Instant Pot, but you can get rotisserie-style chicken from it.) Simply sear a whole chicken, rub it with spices, plop it in the pot, pour yourself a glass of wine, and voila, 30 minutes later a perfectly cooked chicken is ready to serve. Whoever said making dinner took too much effort? You may never, ever go back to store-bought rotisserie chicken. We certainly won’t.–Angie Zoobkoff
Instant Pot Rotisserie-Style Whole Chicken
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H
- Serves 4
Special Equipment: Instant Pot and kitchen string (optional)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One (3- to 4-pound) chicken
- 1/2 cup homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lager-style beer
- Store-bought or homemade hot sauce, to serve
- 1. Make the rotisserie rub: In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, brown sugar, and cayenne.
- 2. Sear the chicken: In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Season the chicken with the remaining salt and pepper and, if you have some kitchen string, tie the legs together. Sear the chicken in the skillet, turning it to brown all sides, 10 to 12 minutes total. (Alternately, if you’re using a pressure cooker and it has a sauté function, you can sear the chicken in the pressure cooker, leaving you with one less dish to clean.) Set the chicken aside until cool enough to handle, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Cook the chicken in the Instant Pot: Place the steam rack inside of the pressure cooker. Pour in the chicken stock and beer. Rub the chicken with the spice rub and place it in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker on the steam rack. Secure the lid and cook under high pressure for 18 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick release and remove the lid.
- 4. Remove the chicken and serve: Using tongs, carefully transfer the chicken from the Instant Pot or pressure cooker to a platter. Carve and serve immediately with hot sauce, if desired.