In the wintertime, I look forward to the arrival of bright, fresh tangerines because they pair so well with these sweet, roasted baby beets. It’s a simple, elegant flavor combination.–Andrew Swallow
LC Win Friends and Influence People Note
Simple, spare, and stunning. That’s this tangerine and beet salad recipe. Although because the sum is greater than the parts, people tend to initially sort of look at you askance. But then after tasting it, they come to appreciate what genius this combination of tastes and textures truly is. (Our unsolicited advice? Just smile and say thank you.)
Tangerine and Beet Salad
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H
- Serves 4
- 1 pound golden beets, preferably baby beets
- 4 teaspoons pine nuts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound tangerines, peeled
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, preferably from Meyer lemons
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely diced shallot
- 2 teaspoons basil chiffonade (ideally a blend of both opal basil and regular basil)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350° F (176°C).
- 2. Roast the beets on a baking sheet in the oven until tender. If using baby beets, this should take 20 to 30 minutes (or longer, if the beets aren’t fresh); if using regular-size beets, this could take up to an hour. Place the roasted beets on a towel and gently rub to remove their skins. Let cool to room temperature. Toast the pine nuts on a second baking sheet for 8 minutes and transfer to a plate to cool.
- 3. After the beets have cooled, slice off the top and bottom of each beet. If using baby beets, cut each in half. If using regular-size beets, cut into small wedges. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Slice each tangerine into thick rounds, then slice each round in half crosswise to form a sort of tangerine half moon.
- 5. Arrange 5 beet pieces and 5 tangerine slices on each plate. Drizzle each with 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon olive oil on top and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon shallot, 1 teaspoon of the toasted pine nuts, and 1/2 teaspoon basil. Season with salt and pepper.