Onion marmalade is a classic French condiment, used with everything from the Breton pork stew kig ha farz to pâtés and roasted pork. Here, I’ve added my own touch in the form of grenadine, which adds soft sweetness and color. For a simple lunch, spread some on a piece of fresh bread to accompany a green salad. Any good-quality yellow onion makes a fine marmalade. It keeps for several weeks in the refrigerator. Heat it slightly before you use it, to melt the butter.–Susan Herrmann Loomis
LC Know Your Onions Note
Three things affect the pungency of an onion: growing temperatures, soil, and length of storage. Your average home cook can’t do much about the first couple factors, but correct storage can go a long way towards keeping onions tame. Onions are best within 3 months after being harvested, though they keep well in a cool spot for about 6 months. Oh, one last thing: Onions tend to be high in sugar and can easily burn, so watch them carefully as they cook.
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H, 45 M
- Makes 1 cup
IngredientsEmail Grocery List
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds onions, very thinly sliced
- Generous pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grenadine syrup
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and stir until they are coated with the butter. Season with salt, stir, cover, and cook until the onions begin to sizzle and slightly stick to the pan. Add 3 tablespoons (45ml) water, stir, cover and continue cooking until the onions are almost thoroughly tender and melted, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 2. Mix together the grenadine syrup and the vinegar and add it to the onions. Stir so the liquid is thoroughly mixed into the onions and continue to cook, stirring almost constantly, until the onions are completely caramelized, an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the onions to a serving bowl so they don’t continue to caramelize and burn in the heat of the pan. Serve onions warm or at room temperature. Once cooled, the onions can be refrigerated, tightly covered. They will keep well for 1 month.