This warm goat cheese salad recipe is essentially just slices of baguette slathered with goat cheese, baked to toasty perfection, and accompanied by a simple green salad with a can’t-mess-it-up vinaigrette. It’s not only a French classic but what we refer to as honest entertaining. Originally published March 23, 2015.–Renee Schettler Rossi
LC Simple Is As Simple Does Note
The underlying philosophy behind this warm goat cheese salad recipe is that simple is as simple does. And by that we mean the beauty of it lies in its pure flavors and juxtaposition of bubbly, creamy cheese with the uber crisp toast and the vinaigrette-slicked lettuce. That said, some of us appreciate simplicity more than others. Folks who require quite a lot of hoopla happening on their plate may wish to scatter a handful of fresh herbs into the salad. As for us, all we have to say when asked about this salad is, “oui.” (That’s French for “yes, please.”)
Warm Goat Cheese Salad | Salade au Chèvre Chaud
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 15 M
- Serves 2 to 4
- For the goat cheese toasts
- 4 slices baguette, each 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
- 4 slices chèvre (goat cheese), each 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- For the salad
- 1 head butter or bibb lettuce or several handfuls baby greens or even arugula or baby spinach (about 4 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make the goat cheese toasts
- 1. Preheat the oven to 475°F (250°C).
- 2. Place the bread on a baking sheet. Place a slice of chèvre on each piece of bread and drizzle with a touch of olive oil. Bake until the edges of the bread are golden brown and the cheese appears a little puffed and molten, 3 to 5 minutes. Keep a careful watch over the bread as it will go from perfectly done to scorched in seconds. Let cool slightly. If desired, gently smooth the cheese evenly over the surface of the bread with a knife.
- Make the salad
- 3. Rinse the lettuce or baby greens and dry in a salad spinner or with a clean towel.
- 4. Combine all the ingredients for the dressing right in the salad bowl. Add the lettuce or baby greens and gently toss.
- Assemble the plate
- 5. Divvy the salad among individual plates and top with the warm goat cheese toasts. Serve immediately.