This Indian-inspired, yogurt-based marinade tenderizes and flavors the chicken for the roll-ups and provides a cooling (albeit spicy) contrast to the cooked meat. If you want, tuck a few lettuce greens into the roll-ups. This dish is also delicious with turkey and seafood.–Nina Simonds
LC True Tandoori? Note
This recipe is, as the above note from the author states, inspired by classical Indian approach to tandoori chicken, not a true tandoori. Traditionally, tandoori relies on yogurt to tenderize the meat, as does this recipe. Authentic tandoori also draws on specific spice mixes known as masala and an insanely hot clay oven, otherwise known as a tandoor. Though the spices and cooking method here sway from tradition, they still meld to create an altogether fetching weeknight dinner.
Tandoori Chicken Roll-ups Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H
- Serves 6
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and gristle
- For the tandoori marinade (mixed together)
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried chile flakes, or to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the mint-yogurt dressing (mixed together)
- 1 1/2 cups whole-milk plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 18 flour tortillas, folded in half or in quarters, wrapped in a damp cloth, and steamed briefly
- 1. Toss the chicken breasts in the Tandoori marinade to coat and let marinate for 30 minutes, or longer, covered in the refrigerator. Brush the grill with olive oil.
- 2. Prepare a hot fire for grilling or preheat a gas grill. Arrange the meat 3 inches from the source of heat, cover, and grill the meat until cooked through, about 6 to 7 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- 3. While the chicken is cooking, pour the mint-yogurt dressing into a serving bowl and arrange the flour tortillas on a serving plate. Cut the cooked chicken into thin slices and arrange on a platter.
- 4. To serve, arrange slices of chicken in a flour tortilla, spoon some of the dressing on top, roll up, and eat with your fingers. You may also stuff some romaine or leafy lettuce and shredded carrots in the tortilla with the chicken. Serve with a side of vegetables or a salsa.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Tandoori Chicken Roll-ups Recipe © 2005 Nina Simonds. Photo © 2005 Tina Rupp. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!