These grilled cheese croutons are very easy to make if you have an electric panini grill, but of course you can always make them the traditional way in a skillet.–Ina Garten
LC As Easy as One, Two, Three Note
Step one: Make a childhood favorite. Step two: Cut it into squares. Step three: Dunk, drop, or plop them into a bowl of easy tomato soup. Ina Garten demonstrates how in the following video.
Grilled Cheese Croutons Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices country white bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1. Heat a panini grill or place a skillet over medium heat. Place the bread on a cutting board and lightly brush each with the melted butter, being sure to butter the corners. Turn the slices over and pile Gruyère on 2 of the slices. Place the remaining 2 slices of bread on top of the Gruyère, buttered sides up.
- 2. Grill the sandwiches on the panini grill or in the pan for about 5 minutes total, flipping once if using a skillet, until nicely browned. Place on the cutting board, allow to rest for 1 minute, and cut into 1-inch cubes. Dunk into soup, being mindful that if you don’t care for soggy grilled cheese, you’re going to want to add just a couple croutons at a time to your bowlful of steaming tomato goodness.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Grilled Cheese Croutons Recipe © 2012 Ina Garten. Photo © 2012 Quentin Bacon. All rights reserved.