This blueberry kale smoothie is a powerful way to start your morning and get your greens without even tasting them! The sweetness of the blueberries and honey completely hides the flavor of the kale. Babycakes happily drank an entire glass and begged for more! That’s my kind of morning.–Kelly Pfeiffer
LC Can You Taste Green? Note
We’re conflicted about this blueberry kale smoothie recipe. Not whether it’s lovely—-that we pretty much all agree upon. The source of conflict is whether or not the blueberries and honey do, in fact, as the author swears, completely mask any trace of kale. Some of us swear it tastes like “bananas and blueberries and creamy icy summertime” and have sneakily relied on it to sway even kale-haters to down a glassful and go back for seconds. Some of us swear we can, in fact, taste a slightly “earthy aftertaste” yet don’t mind it. We’re not about to accuse anyone of telling fibs, as we think it’s just a personal tastebud sorta thing. And also a matter of exactly how much kale you pack into your blender. So while the exact shade of blue or green in your glass may vary, what’s undeniable is the smoothie’s satiating creaminess, honeyed sweetness, and nutritional awesomeness. So give it a twirl and let us know in a comment below, can you taste the green?
Blueberry Kale Smoothie Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Makes 3 cups
- 1 cup (235 milliliters) vanilla almond milk, preferably unsweetened
- 1 to 2 cups (70 to 140 grams) loosely packed chopped kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups (155 grams) frozen blueberries, preferably organic
- 1 medium banana
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (20 to 40 grams) honey
- 1 cup ice
- 1. Dump the milk, kale leaves, blueberries, banana, and 1 tablespoon honey in a blender until the kale is really tiny green flecks. (You may wish to start with 1 cup kale and then blend it and, if you feel the taste and color of the smoothie can stand a little greening, add more kale to taste and blend away. The more kale you add, the more green your smoothie in flavor and in color.) Add the ice and blend until smooth. Taste and, if desired, add more honey to taste and blend again.
- 2. Divvy the smoothie among 2 or 3 glasses and serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!