Freshly squeezed lemon juice is an essential element of my cooking. I almost always add the grated lemon zest because there’s even more flavor in the zest than in the juice. This is easy to make in advance and is delicious as a cool ending to a wonderful meal.–Ina Garten
My soufflé dish measures 7 inches in diameter on the top and 6 1/4 inches in diameter on the bottom.
Fresh Lemon Mousse Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 45 M
- Serves 6
- For the lemon mousse
- 3 extra-large whole eggs
- 3 extra-large eggs, separated
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup good bottled lemon curd, at room temperature
- Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Sliced lemon, for garnish
- For the sweetened whipped cream
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Make the lemon mousse
- 1. In a large heat-proof bowl, whisk together the 3 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, the lemon zest, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- 2. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the mixture is thick like pudding. (I change to a whisk when the mixture starts to get thick.) Take off the heat and set aside for 15 minutes.
- 3. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until completely chilled.
- 4. Place half the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to beat until the whites are stiff and shiny. Carefully fold the beaten whites into the cold lemon mixture with a rubber spatula.
- 5. Place the cream in the same bowl of the electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (no need to clean the bowl) and beat on high speed until the cream forms stiff peaks. Carefully fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture. Fold in the lemon curd and pour into a 7-inch-diameter, 3-inch deep soufflé dish.
- Make the whipped cream
- 6. Place the cream, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip on medium and then high speed until the cream just forms stiff peaks. Spoon the whipped cream into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- 7. Decorate with sweetened whipped cream and lemon slices that have been cut into quarters. Chill and serve cold.
Fresh Lemon Mousse Recipe © 2008 Ina Garten. Photo © 2008 Quentin Bacon. All rights reserved.