This stuffed mushrooms recipe, a favorite starter of Italian trattorias in the 1970s, is a delicious classic that’s worthy, I feel, of a place in this book. As a former vegetarian, I would be happy to be offered this dish to replace meat at any meal.–Katie Caldesi
LC Everyone’s Favorite Fun Guy Note
This unconventional take on everyone’s favorite fun guy may not be quite what you’re expecting. They’re ginormous stuffed fungi, not the little pop-in-your-mouth appetizers that are everybody’s favorite party favor. This is a knife-and-fork, first-course rendition that’s even better. Trust us. But if you’ve got your hearts—and memories—set on those wee cherubic stuffed mushrooms, go ahead and sub button or cremini mushrooms, just for old time’s sake. There are directions for those old-time stuffed mushrooms variation just beneath the recipe.
Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 30 M
- Serves 6
- 6 portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped mint leaves
- 2 heaping tablespoons roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 ounce Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- 2. Slice the mushroom stalks from the caps. Place the mushroom caps on a baking sheets, gills facing up. Finely chop the mushroom stalks.
- 3. In a bowl, combine the mushroom stalks, mint, parsley, Parmesan, garlic, and bread crumbs and mix thoroughly. Using a spoon, divide the mixture evenly among the 6 mushroom caps, gently packing the mixture down with the back of the spoon.
- 4. Drizzle a little olive oil over each mushroom, then bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the surface of the stuffing is golden. Serve warm.
Stuffed Mushroom Variations
- Blue Cheese-Stuffed Mushrooms
- Omit the mint and Parmesan and reduce the bread crumbs to 2 tablespoons. Add 2 3/4 ounces crumbled blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola, in place of the Parmesan.
- Bite-Size Stuffed Mushrooms
- Substitute 15 or so button or cremini mushrooms for the portobello mushrooms. You will not need to use all the chopped mushroom stems.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe © 2013 Katie Caldesi. Photo © 2013 Lisa Linder. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!