At this time of year, it’s good to have a thick warming soup at your fingertips and this is plenty seasonal into the bargain. This is what makes it easy: I make it from frozen broccoli; I use frozen organic broccoli, if that makes you feel any better. Actually, there’s no reason to feel bad on any count. This is better when made with frozen, as well as more convenient, especially if being used as an impromptu standby. The broccoli is frozen fresh, whereas the drooping heads at the bottom of my fridge inevitably end up brassy-tasting.–Nigella Lawson
Broccoli and Stilton Soup Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Serves 4 as a supper
- 3 tablespoons garlic-infused oil
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 pounds frozen broccoli
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 5 cups hot vegetable stock (or stock from concentrate or bouillon cube)
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled or chopped Stilton cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 long red chile pepper, deseeded and finely chopped, optional
- 1. Put the garlic oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the sliced scallions, cooking for a couple of minutes.
- 2. Add the frozen broccoli and thyme and stir on the heat for a minute or so.
- 3. Add the hot vegetable stock and the crumbled Stilton and bring to a bubble, then clamp the lid on and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4. Liquidize in a blender (or, failing that, a food processor), in batches, then pour back in the pan and heat if it has cooled too much while liquidizing; add pepper to taste.
- 5. Scatter a Christmas confetti of red chile dice on each serving, if you feel like it.