This white asparagus-orange salad was created by Jose Andres: “For me, the farmer’s market has become a Sunday ritual. Just as they do in Spain today, the smaller organic farmers are introducing the city crowd to new fruits and vegetables. I find inspiration for wonderful tapas dishes every week.”–Linda Long
White Asparagus with Oranges and Olives
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 30 M
- Serves 1
- For the black olive oil
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil, divided
- For the white asparagus
- 4 fresh white asparagus spears
- 4 orange segments
- 2 black olives, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon Black Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Sherry Dressing
- For the sherry dressing
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Micro greens
- Make the black olive oil
- 1. In a blender, purée the olives and 1/2 cup oil. In a bowl, mix the remaining oil and black olive purée. (see Note)
- Prepare the white asparagus and oranges
- 2. Gently peel the stem of the asparagus and set aside. Bring salted water to a boil. Drop in the asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and shock in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process; cool. Peel an orange, removing all the white pith; remove segments by cutting on each side of the white membrane just to the center of the orange.
- Make the sherry dressing
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- 4. To plate, carefully toss the white asparagus, oranges, sherry dressing, and salt. Remove the asparagus and cut in half. Place on a small plate in log cabin style. Place orange segments and black olives around the asparagus. Drizzle black olive oil around the plate and garnish with micro greens.
- This recipe makes more dressing than is needed for this recipe. Keep on hand for use with many dishes, or reduce the recipe while keeping the same proportions. Keep refrigerated.