This is my version of the popular leek and French goat-cheese tart, but with the Italian flavors of mascarpone and basil.–Allysa Torey
LC All For One and One For All Note
There needn’t be just one tart for all at the table. “I often like to make five or six 4-inch tarts instead of the one large tart,” says the author. “It’s a little more work rolling out the dough, but it’s fun to serve everyone their own individual tart.”
Leek, Corn, and Mascarpone Tart
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H, 20 M
- Makes one 10-inch tart
IngredientsEmail Grocery List
- For the crust
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- For the filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced leeks, in 1/4-inch pieces (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Make the crust
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. Place the flour in a large bowl, and, using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until the pieces are pea-size. (If you don’t have a pastry blender, my editor Justin suggests that you can also use two knives, in a crossing pattern, to cut the shortening into the flour mixture.) Sprinkle the ice water by tablespoons over the flour mixture and toss with a fork until all the dough is moistened.
- 3. Gather the dough into a ball and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to fit a 10-inch tart pan. Fit the dough into the pan and trim the edge flush with the rim. Prick all over the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork. Place the crust on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- 4. Remove the crust from the oven and set aside. Raise the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- Make the leek, corn, and mascarpone filling
- 5. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the corn and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Stir in the basil, salt, and pepper. Remove from the heat, transfer to a large bowl, and cool for 10 minutes.
- 6. In a medium-size bowl, beat together the mascarpone, cream, and eggs until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cheese mixture to the leek and corn mixture and mix together until the ingredients are well blended. Transfer the filling into the crust and lightly sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top.
- 7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the filling is set. Allow the leek tart to cool for 10 minutes before serving.