This baked bacon recipe tells you how to bake bacon in the oven for a crowd with no spatters. It’s the perfect technique. All you need is a baking sheet. The oven does the rest.
This baked bacon recipe is an easy oven technique for those times when you just don’t have it in you to stand at the stove tending to batch after batch of bacon. Instead, simply place the strips of bacon on a rimmed baking sheet and slide the whole shebang in the oven. Tada! Perfect baked bacon for a crowd with barely any effort. And no hot bacon grease spattered your way. This recipe has been updated. Originally published December 21, 2014.–Renee Schettler Rossi
How To Make Baked Bacon That's Crazy Shatteringly Crisp
Pssst. Want to know how to make oven baked bacon that’s shatteringly crisp? Place the bacon on a wire rack situated on the rimmed baking sheet. This technique allows the hot air to circulate around the bacon, cooking it evenly so it can crisp along the length of the bacon. This works exceptionally well with thin-sliced bacon but also works with extra thick-cut bacon, too.
Perfect Baked Bacon Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 25 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- 12 slices bacon
- 1. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- 2. Arrange the bacon slices on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Wait until the oven is completely preheated and then slide the baking sheet into the oven. Let the bacon cook, without turning, until the fat begins to render, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 3. Rotate the baking sheet and continue cooking until the bacon is crisp and brown, 5 to 6 minutes for thin-cut bacon, 8 to 10 minutes for thick-cut bacon. if you’re baking more than 1 sheet of bacon at the same time, swap their oven positions about halfway through cooking. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels or a brown paper sack to drain. Collect the bacon drippings in a clean Mason jar or other resealable container with a lid, tuck it in the fridge, and reserve for another use.
- 4. Pile the baked bacon onto plates or a platter and have at it.
Variations On Baked Bacon
- Bored with knowing how to bake bacon all by itself? Simply sprinkle the bacon with any of the following before you slide it in the oven. (And keep a close eye on the oven as any form of sugar can burn relatively quickly and easily. And you don’t want flare-ups—unless, of course, you’re into that sorta thing.) Baked bacon sprinkled with brown sugar Baked bacon sprinkled with brown sugar and topped with chopped pecans Baked bacon sprinkled with brown sugar and a pinch of cayenne pepper Baked bacon brushed with maple syrup Baked bacon lightly brushed with honey
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Perfect Baked Bacon Recipe © 2014 America's Test Kitchen. Photo © 2014 Carl Tremblay. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!