Carrot ginger soup. What it lacks in novelty it more than makes up for by being easy, healthy, scrumptious, simple, vegan, and done in an hour.
Carrot ginger soup. It’s nothing innovative, not any of its million iterations. But this simple and slightly spicy recipe is particularly easy and healthy and good. Unlike many carrot soups, it’s not overly sweet, which we quite like. You could adjust this without adding refined sugar by dribbling a little coconut milk over the bowl of soup just before serving.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 1 H
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion (about 9 ounces or 250 grams), cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves (1/2 ounce), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons (26 grams) chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pound (454 grams) carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch (2.5-centimeter) pieces (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
- 3 cups (710 milliliters) chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat the coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, cover the pot, and sauté over low heat until the onion is very soft and sweet, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the cumin, coriander, and garam masala and continue to cook, stirring, for another minute.
- 3. Toss in the carrots, stock, and another big pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Turn down the heat and simmer gently until the carrots are very tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 4. Blend the soup in the pot with an immersion blender or, if using a blender, let the soup cool for at least 10 minutes and then carefully pour it into the blender and purée until smooth, working in batches if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Carrot Apple Ginger Soup from Joy the Baker
- Carrot Ginger + Turmeric Soup w Cashew Cream & Spiced Chickpeas from Dishing Up the Dirt
- Carrot Soup with Chicken and Thyme from Leite's Culinaria
- Turkey Soup with Ginger, Lemon, and Mint from Leite's Culinaria
Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe © 2016 Gwyneth Paltrow. Photo © 2016 Ditte Isager. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!