Quick chicken chili. It’s easy and healthy and exactly what you want—nay, need—when you’re crave something that’s satiating as heck but fast as can be.
This quick chicken chili recipe is, true to its title, fast. It’s on the table in just 35 minutes. It’s also easy and healthy. But that’s not the real reason you and your family will crave it week after week. One taste and you’ll understand. [Editor’s Note: While this has all the heat of a nice chili, it’s actually more like a soup than a stick-to-your-ribs chili. No complaints here.] Originally published September 9, 2017.–Angie Zoobkoff
Quick Chicken Chili
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 35 M
- Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Generous 1/2 cup thinly sliced or chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Two (14- or 15-ounce) cans no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Two (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
- 2 3/4 cups canned chicken broth or homemade chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges, for garnish
- 1. Heat a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Sprinkle the chicken with 1⁄8 teaspoon salt. Add the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- 2. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add 1 can of drained beans, 1 can of chiles along with the liquid, the chicken broth or stock, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- 3. In a small bowl using a fork or potato masher, mash the remaining can of drained beans with the remaining can of chiles. Stir this mash into the chili and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with the cilantro leaves and lime wedges.