Frugal fact: Coupons for chocolate chips generally come out during the holidays, so be sure to get as many coupons as you can and stock up on these sweet little gems. I make these brownies for $3.47 per batch.–Erin Chase
LC $3.47? Note
$3.47 a batch? Okay, we’re frugal, though we’re not that frugal, especially not when it comes to chocolate. Because if we’re going to spend the time and money and calories to make brownies, we’re going to really splurge and make brownies, such as these gooey, fudgy, soul-satiatingly messy mocha brownies. You know, make it worthwhile. Memorable, even. That’s how we justify spending a little—okay, a lot—more than necessary on indecently good chocolate. But you already knew that trick, didn’t you? So while we invest quite a lot more than $3.47 in this batch of brownies, we consider it worth every last penny.
One-Bowl Mocha Brownies Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 45 M
- Makes 12 brownies
- 2 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 2 cups semisweet or dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee or, for a more robust taste, espresso granules
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176ºC). Butter an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish.
- 2. In a large microwavable bowl, add the chopped semisweet chocolate, butter, and 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Whisk together the melted butter and chocolate.
- 3. Whisk in the sugar, vanilla, flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Let cool for just a minute or so, then whisk in the eggs and instant coffee or espresso granules. Whisk for about a minute, or until the batter is smooth. Fold in the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Scrape the batter into the baking dish.
- 4. Bake the brownies for 22 to 25 minutes. You can try to check the brownies for doneness by inserting a tester or toothpick in the center, although since they have chunks of chocolate, you can’t really be certain with this method. You may need to guess a little and leave them in the oven a touch longer if you like them less gooey. Let cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack before cutting and serving.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
One-Bowl Mocha Brownies Recipe © 2012 Erin Chase. Photo © 2012 Erin Chase. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!